The advantages to D2C ecommerce are numerous, though it will always depend on the sector and products in question. Some manufacturers like it because it allows them to have more control over their product sales cycle end-to-end, while others appreciate how close they can get to their ultimate customers, which in turn allows them to better incorporate innovation based on real-time feedback. Accurate and synchronized inventory, always a crucial factor in any ecommerce venture, can often be assisted with D2C aspects.
Taking on the task of selling direct can be daunting for a lot of manufacturers. There is a need to consider if they have the internal resources for omni-channel marketing, customer research and the creation and maintenance of a distribution chain. Will D2C affect your warehousing, returns handling or packaging considerations? There is also the consideration of your existing reseller arrangements, and if and how you will work with them, not against them. Breaking down selling strategies into regional variants is one approach, scaling prices to full retail cost is another that helps avoid direct competition.
Overall the substantial benefits of selling direct can include:
- Work with consumers: Get the unfiltered feedback you need on product innovation while building your own marketing functionality
- Branding is everything: Your branding can never go astray when you’re handling every stage of product marketing and order fulfillment
- The world is yours: Use regional selling strategies to maintain equilibrium with your retailers while concentrating on penetration globally
- Save your pennies: Eliminate wasteful overhead for both you and your customers by “cutting out the middleman”
- Up the product: Offer an even greater range of your products without any limitation from suppliers’ preferences
- Grow the bottom line: Without the drag of offsetting cost for the margins of your retailers, you’re free to create responsive pricing and increase revenue
- Enjoy omni-channel marketing: now that you control every aspect of the product cycle, you have the opportunity to sell to a broader audience and increase traffic and revenue opportunities
- Grow your site: Your team can concentrate on improving the sales experience of your customers, working to offer a better mobile experience, discounts and subscriptions
Considering Direct Selling
Williams Commerce is an award-winning ecommerce agency that has been helping businesses pivot to D2C models and associated hybrids for years. We have the experience across multiple platforms including Shopify Plus, Adobe Commerce and BigCommerce, to make sure the addition of this revenue stream is backed up by solid tech fundamentals. Our range of integrations is growing daily, and our marketing team is on hand to assist with strategy and outreach.
We can help you with a range of D2C tools including:
- Advanced marketing techniques: Work with our marketing teach to increase conversion, loyalty and outreach
- Product display: Our UX team can help design you an attractive shopfront for D2C sales that uses all the latest display strategies
- Complete integration: Make sure that all of your backend systems are fully integrated, reducing sales and admin friction and improving workflow
Reach out today and discuss moving to D2C with one of our ecommerce experts.