Since its release in 2015, Magento 2 has provided merchants with a function-rich platform.
With flexible architecture and superior speed performance, Magento 2 delivers an enhanced experience for sales and marketing administrators, as well as end users, via a highly intuitive content management system.
Magento 2 comes in two editions: Magento Commerce (Cloud) (formerly Magento Enterprise) and Magento Open Source (previously Magento Community).
There are still plenty of retailers out there using the Magento 1 platform. If your business falls into this bracket and you’ve been happy with what this platform has provided over the years, then changing may not seem worth your while.
A statement from Magento this month confirmed that software support for Magento Commerce 1 would be provided up until June 2020, while software security patches would be provided up until the same date.
So while there’s no need for knee-jerk decisions, if you are a merchant still using the Magento 1 platform, considering your next step is in your interest. Magento 2 is the future of the Magento platform and can ultimately benefit your business in the long run. More than 10,000 live sites already run on the Magento 2 platform
To help put your mind at ease and give you some additional information, we’ve picked out some of the key reasons why, as an existing Magento 1 user, making the transition and beginning a Magento 2 migration is a positive move.
Where does Magento 2 stand out?
Magento has worked hard to introduce improvements that help Magento 2 move ahead of its previous version. By using modular architecture and coding structures, there’s more capacity for growth.
Compared to its previous version, Magento 2 delivers a host of enhancements out of the box. For example, search functionality is advanced, with Magento 2 using Elastic search both within the site and on the admin side, so users can quickly find what they’re looking for.
There’s also strong support for various application programming interfaces to enable enhanced content management. Preview options also allow for better decision-making before sites go live.
Additionally, faster coding and a dashboard featuring all the content management system functions in Magento 2 allows for more engaging ecommerce websites to be created.
Magento 2’s content staging capabilities allows for the easy creation, previewing and scheduling of content updates. This can be done from within the admin section.
Shoppers can enjoy a number of new benefits from Magento 2, such as more instant purchasing capabilities. Magento 2 also offers a significantly faster online experience, with faster page loading a more streamlined checkout experience.
Scalability is one key area of enhancement with Magento 2. Users can split the data around their products, orders and checkout across three master databases. Additionally, the background indexing in Magento 2 has been improved and comes as default.
Magento 2’s capabilities extend much further, including some of the following key benefits that will be welcomed by many retailers:
- Advanced shipping allowing for easy configuration of different shipping offerings, including cost, carrier and table rates
- Enhanced email marketing with DotMailer integration
- Magento Business Intelligence reporting, which is a cloud-based subscription service offering users access to sophisticated reports, thus providing more insight into their website
- Magento Social can be used to enhance engagement and drive traffic to your store using connectors such as Magento Social Facebook Connector. For example, you can add ‘Like’ buttons to CMS blocks across your store to increase visitor interaction.
- Amazon Integration is also possible thanks to the Magento 2 Amazon connector
As mentioned, Magento 2 comes in Magento Commerce (Cloud) and Magento Open Source versions:
- Magento Commerce (Cloud) is a strong option for large businesses looking to take advantage of the full offering Magento 2 presents. This version is scalable to practically any deployment requirements.
- Magento Open Source gives users access to a host of Magento extensions that can enhance their ecommerce website’s customer offering.
Superb Magento Commerce Offer
There is currently an excellent offer that can help you save money when migrating to Magento Commerce (Cloud). You can get this platform for six months, free of charge, if you move by 31 December 2018.
If you’re currently on the previous version of Magento and looking to make the move, you can help your sales growth soar by shifting to Magento Commerce (Cloud). More information is available here.
Your Magento Partners
At Williams Commerce, our aim is to form long term relationships that can help businesses realise their ecommerce potential. We’re also recognised as a Magento Company on DesignRush.
We are a Magento 2 trained solution partner, with a team of experts available to discuss your specific requirements.
If you have any questions about Magento 2, get in touch with Williams Commerce…