With the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) coming into effect in less than 3 months (on 25th May 2018), online businesses should prepare to ensure they are compliant, in order to avoid the steep fines which can go up to €20 million or 4% of the global annual turnover, whichever is highest.
At Williams Commerce, we have been undertaking the necessary steps preparing for GDPR compliance, including:
- analysing customer GDPR requirements against our current processes and policies.
- mapping out and recording how we process personal data for our customers.
- reviewing and updating our contracts, as and where appropriate.
- training all staff on the requirements of the GDPR and Williams Commerce data privacy and procedures.
- completing our ISO 9001 accreditation alongside the Government’s Cyber Essentials and Cyber Essentials Plus security programs.
- undertaking ISO27001 accreditation to further structure and enhance our processes and procedures around information security.
However, we strongly encourage all our clients to seek independent legal advice when it comes to the preparations they need to undertake to ensure GDPR compliance before the 25th of May.
List of GDPR resources
As this can be a lengthy process, below we’ve compiled a list of resources around GDPR that can give you more information about the upcoming changes and requirements, across different areas.
- The official GDPR Portal
- The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)’s guide to GDPR
- IT Governance
- The DMA
- Mailchimp’s GDPR resources
- Magento, GDPR, and You
- Campaign Live
- Campaign Monitor
- The Drum
Disclaimer: Please note that Williams Commerce Limited and/or its affiliated companies bears no responsibility or affiliation to content within third party and external website links.